Brandy Apple Crumble Pie
I present to you my second pie of the autumn season...I think I'm feeling a little nostalgic for a real fall when there is a crisp chill in the air and the leaves turn yellow and red (I'm sweating as I'm writing this outside in Texas). This beautiful pie is nicely spiced and has a little kick from the brandy (add more if you really like the taste of booze pies).
6 granny smith apples (peeled, cored, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp brandy
1 small lemon (juice)
premade vegan pie shell
1 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C (packed) dark golden brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp Earth Balance (cold)
0. Preheat oven to 400 F.
1. In a large bowl combine apples and lemon juice (don't let the apples sit very long before mixing with the citrus because it will brown!)
2. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt. Toss to coat.
3. Add vanilla and brandy. Toss again.
4. In a medium bowl add all crumble ingredients. Press butter with fork to incorporate dry ingredients. When it has been incorporated somewhat, use your hands to create the crumble (there should be no chunks of butter left).
5. Fill pie shell with apples (you can pile them higher than the shell because it will cook down). Arrange so that there are few air pockets.
6. Add crumble to top, pressing it in all the nooks and crannies.
7. Place pie tin on baking sheet (to catch spillage!). Bake at 400 F for 40 minutes (important: cover top with tin foil at 20 minutes if crumble is starting to brown).
8. Turn heat down to 350 F and bake another 40 minutes.
9. Let cool for an hour or more and serve with ice cream or vegan cool whip
|Check out that gooey filling!|